Richard is an intellectual property lawyer, trademark agent and Certified Licensing Professional in Calgary, Alberta. Prior to establishing his practice in Calgary, Richard practiced in Vancouver, B.C. for six years with an intellectual property (IP) firm and has worked and studied in the field of IP law, including in the areas of IP licensing, software and patent licensing, mobile software application law and licensing (app law), IP due diligence, technology transfer, trade-mark prosecution and dispute resolution, domain name law, internet law, e-commerce law and privacy law.
Intellectual property is never created or used in a vacuum and Richard’s extensive experience in corporate and business law matters allows him to advise his clients with a very practical and solutions-oriented approach.
Richard has been invited to the University of British Columbia Faculty of Law to speak on intellectual property rights and he has been invited as an instructor on intellectual property law and licensing at Mount Royal University, and at the “Masters of Biotechnology” class at the University of Calgary in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. Richard has been a course instructor in “Business Law” at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), and “Internet Law and New Media” at the University of British Columbia and also instructed the course “Internet Law – The Law and New Media” at the British Columbia Institute of Technology.
Richard has been invited to speak to a number of industry groups on a variety of topics, particularly in the areas of IP law, licensing and privacy law, including to the Licensing Executives Society, Canadian Bar Association, Digital Media Association of Alberta (DMAA), AWE (Alberta Women Entrepreneurs), UTI (University Technologies International), the BCIT Advanced Research Forum, Annual Conference of Chartered Accountants, the Northern New Media and IT Conference, the British Columbia Internet Association and New Media BC, a Vancouver-based new media industry group. Richard’s articles have been published in The Lawyers Weekly and Canadian International Lawyer and The Licensing Journal. His community involvement has included advising the Law Society of B.C. and the Canadian Bar Association in a pro bono capacity, working with the annual United Way fundraising campaign, and acting as a director and co-president of a Vancouver-based charity.
Richard is licensed to practice in B.C. and Alberta and is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and the Licensing Executives Society (LES). He has served on the executive of the CBA Technology & IP Subsection for the past three years, is past chair of the Calgary Chapter of LES, and a member the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and past member of the American IP Law Association.
- Richard Stobbe quoted in Oilweek Magazine (January 2007)
- Richard Stobbe quoted in the Montreal Gazette (January 2008)
- Richard Stobbe interviewed in Maclean’s magazine (macleans.ca) (May, 2009)
- ipblog.ca featured in IP Osgoode, the site of the Intellectual Property Law and Technology program at Osgoode Hall Law School (York University) (http://www.iposgoode.ca/) (June 2009)
- ipblog.ca cited in Fast-Tracking Cleantech Patents: What Choice is There? (Sept. 2009)
- Richard Stobbe spoke at the iPhone Forum Vancouver (November 24, 2009) on the subject of mobile software applications, intellectual property and licensing.
- Richard’s article Tips and Trends in CleanTech Licensing is published in the November 27th issue of The Lawyer’s Weekly (2009).
- Richard was invited to speak on the topic of “The Law of Open Source Licensing” at COSSFEST in Calgary (April, 2010).
- Richard was invited to speak on the topic of “App Law: The Legal Side of Mobile Apps” at the iP3 Forum in Toronto , Ontario, June 21, 2010.
- Richard is speaking at UTI’s Technology Commercialization Series: September 29, 2010
- Richard will be moderating a panel on Arbitration Clauses in International License Agreements, at the Licensing Executives Society Calgary Chapter Meeting, November 4, 2010.
- Richard’s article on the Legal Implications of App Development [Download Copy of Article (2MB PDF)] is published November 19, 2010 in The Lawyers Weekly.
- The National Post interviewed Richard Stobbe for an article on the plan to fast-track cleantech patent applications: “Canada plays catch-up on cleantech patents“
- Richard’s article on trade-marks is published in the January 21, 2011 edition of The Lawyers Weekly: “Trade-mark owners must use it or lose it”
- BioBusiness Magazine has interviewed Richard in the March 2011 issue: The Myriad Decision: What does the patent dispute mean to Canadian biotech?
- Richard is speaking to the University of British Columbia Faculty of Law intellectual property rights class on the subject of app law in Canada, on March 23, 2011.
- Richard hosts the Licensing Executives Society Calgary Chapter Meeting, April 26, 2011 on “Copyright Reform”.
- Richard’s article Software Licensing in the Cloud [PDF copy] is published May 6, 2011, in The Lawyers Weekly.
- May 6, 2011, The Lawyers Weekly interviewed Richard Stobbe for its recent article Canada mulls registration of non-traditional marks.
- September 27, 2011, Richard Stobbe was interviewed by CTV for Intellectual Property in the Digital Age.
- Richard hosts the Licensing Executives Society Calgary Chapter Meeting, October 27, 2011 on “Finding and Analyzing Royalty Rates”.
- November 2, 2011, Richard Stobbe was invited to speak on the subject of “Allocating Risks in the Cloud” for the 3rd Cloud Computing Law Conference hosted in Calgary by Federated Press.
- 2012 – Richard’s article Software Licensing and Development: A Case Study (pdf) is published in The Medium newsletter.
- 2012 – Richard’s article “You Can’t Have Clouds Without a Little Bit of Lightning: Cloud Computing in 2012” is published in The Advisor (PDF) newsletter (Winter 2012).
- March 9, 2012 – Richard Stobbe was interviewed in the March 9th edition of The Lawyers Weekly on the subject of new gTLDs.
- 2013 – Richard’s article Click and Copy: Breach of Online License Agreements and Copyright Infringement was published in Canadian Intellectual Property Review in December.
- March 2013 – Richard will be speaking to both the University of Calgary and the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) on the subject of intellectual property protection.
- October 2013, Richard Stobbe was interviewed by Alberta Venture magazine for the article Is buying a franchise the opportunity of a lifetime, or the worst mistake you’ll ever make?
- December 2013, Richard was co-author of Trends and Observations in Software in the December 2013 issue of les Nouvelles, a publication of the Licensing Executives Society.
- February 2014 – Richard’s article on software licenses and IP indemnities is to be published in The Licensing Journal Vol. 34, No. 2.
- May 2014 – Richard’s article on “Internet Licensing: Do Unilateral Changes to Online Terms Work” is to be published in The Licensing Journal Vol. 34, No. 5.
- May, 2014 – Richard and the Field Law Intellectual Property & Technology Group present to APEGA in Calgary, Alberta, on the topic of recent developments in IP law.
- May, 2014 Richard was interviewed by CBA National magazine on the subject of a recent EU privacy decision Forget me, Google.
- October 14, 2014 – Richard Stobbe spoke at 10th Essentials of Commercial Contracts in Calgary, Alberta, on the topic of Drafting IT Agreements.
- October 17, 2014 – Richard Stobbe spoke to the Mini MBA for Lawyers conference in Calgary, Alberta, on the subject of software licensing and IT transactions.
- October 23, 2014 – Richard Stobbe was invited to speak to the Vancouver Chapter of the Licensing Executives Society on the subject of Software Licensing: The Good, The Bad and the Virtual.
- Richard Stobbe spoke to the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada webinar on April 23, 2015 on the subject of “Social Media and IP: Considerations for Your Practice”
- Richard was interviewed by Corporate Counsel magazine for an article entitled “Canada Gives Google a World Wide Headache
A court in British Columbia has ordered Google to remove links to a site—globally.” (Read more: Link Here)
- In all three sessions in 2015, Richard spoke to Innovate Calgary’s “Innovators Toolkit” program regarding intellectual property protection strategies for entrepreneurs.
- On September 15 and September 22, 2015, Richard Stobbe was invited to speak to the LESA Technology Contracts conference in Edmonton and Calgary.
- Monday, November 23, 2015, Richard presented the “Top Ten Developments in Intellectual Property Law at Innovate Calgary.
- December 15, 2015 – Richard Stobbe presents to the Mini MBA for Lawyers conference in Calgary, Alberta, on the subject of software licensing and IT transactions.
- January, 2016 – Richard Stobbe joined the Canadian IT Law Association.
- June, 2016 – Richard was invited to present the webinar Trademark Law 101- Protecting Your Brand.
- June, 2016 – Richard Stobbe’s article “What Qualifies as Joint Authorship of Software?” was published in the peer-reviewed Canadian Intellectual Property Review, Vol. 32 No. 1 .
- September 29, 2016 – Richard will be co-presenting again to the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) on the subject of intellectual property protection.
- October 11, 2016 – Richard has been invited back to the University of Calgary Masters of Biotechnology class, to present as a guest lecturer on the topic “Biotechnology Commercialization and Intellectual Property”.